When I think of Valentine’s Day desserts, I think of chocolate. Let’s be honest, I think of chocolate all the time, every day. I even told my brand new niece about some of the things she has to look forward to: Diet Pepsi, mint chocolate chip ice cream, and chocolate of any kind. Some might say I’m a chocoholic. And since another one of my loves is cupcakes, I thought it would be a great idea to make an ultimate chocolate version! If you love chocolate desserts, you NEED to make these cupcakes. They’re decadent, chocolatey, and easy. The frosting alone will make you want to grab a spoon and the bowl, sit on the couch, and watch “Friends” until the frosting is gone. Yep, it’s THAT good.
I think we can all agree that all chocolate dessert recipes are pretty amazing but these super decadent Triple Chocolate Cupcake take the cake…pun intended. They are a combination of all three chocolates, a milk chocolate cake, a center filled with a rich, silky dark chocolate ganache, and a smooth, creamy white chocolate buttercream frosting on top. It’s probably one of the best chocolate cupcake recipes I’ve ever made!
As amazing as they are these Triple Chocolate Cupcakes are actually really simple to make. They start with a box of chocolate cake mix that is doctored up with a few added ingredients to make it extra moist and fluffy. After the cupcakes have baked and cooled you cut a small core from the middle of each. You fill that hole with a creamy dark chocolate ganache made from finely chopped dark chocolate and hot heavy cream. You fill the hole right up to the top of the cupcake and smooth it over.
white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark chocolate cupcakes
While the ganache cools and sets inside the cupcake you make the white chocolate frosting. Guys, this may be the best buttercream frosting I’ve ever made. It is a combination of butter, powdered sugar, and melted white chocolate and it comes out so light and fluffy. Once the frosting is ready you pipe it on top of each cupcake and then garnish with a little grated chocolate if you like.
- Chocolate Buttercream
- 12oz Melting Chocolate
- 1 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 4-6 TBS Heavy Whipping Cream (or milk)
- Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1-3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1 TSP Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Boiling Water
- 18 Milk Chocolate Lindt Truffles.
- In a double boiler, microwave, or large chocolate melter, melt chocolate and butter together, stir well. Pour into a large mixing bowl, or bowl of an electric mixer.
- Place in either the freezer or fridge until it cools, stirring and scraping the sides every few minutes to keep the chocolate from hardening on the sides. (about 25 minutes in the fridge)
- Using a kitchen mixer or a hand beater, beat the chocolate for about 1 minute, it will become lighter in color right away.
- Add in 4-6 TBS of heavy whipping cream or milk, and beat. You can use milk if you would like, but I prefer the creamy taste the heavy whipping cream adds.
- In a large mixing bowl, or bowl of an electric mixer, mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until fully combined.
- Add in eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Pour in boiling water and beat for 2 minutes.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full (approx. 4TBS) and bake at 350 for 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Unwrap all your truffles and gently press them into the center of your cupcakes.
- Pipe your frosting onto your cupcakes. It helps to first pipe a little extra blob in the center to fill the dent left by the truffles.