With its thick layer of Oreo cream sandwiched between two chocolate cake layers, and topped with rich chocolate ganache and Oreo crumbles, this Chocolate Covered Oreo Cake recipe is one no Oreo lover can resist.
So you might remember that last year I mentioned that the hubs and I were going to South Africa, both to visit his family and for me to see the country. Well, we were supposed to go over Thanksgiving and into December, but ended up having to postpone the trip because of a delay with getting the hubs’ citizenship.
It has taken a LOT longer than we expected based on some other people’s experiences, but finally the hubs has the final interview and test on Monday! We can’t wait for him to be done with it. Hopefully the finally “ceremony” where he’ll actually receive the citizenship won’t take too long – but of course we aren’t holding our breath.
You can be sure that once we have the citizenship, we’ll be applying for his passport and re-booking the trip.
But for now, he’s been studying for the test. He’s pretty much grown up in the U.S., so it’s not like it’s stuff he hadn’t learned before, but it’s amazing how much of it you forget.
You all, I’ve made this Chocolate Covered Oreo Cake recipe three times in the last month. It’s just one of those fabulously delicious, but not-too-hard-to-pull-together, cake recipes that’s perfect for just about anything. I made it for my husband’s birthday, for Christmas Eve with my family, and then again this week for when a friend was visiting.
Yes, this Chocolate Covered Oreo Cake recipe is indeed perfect for just about anything. I mean, who doesn’t love chocolate cake with Oreo cream filling?
A thick, creamy layer of Oreo cream filling is sandwiched between two layers of chocolate cake … and then the cake is spread with rich chocolate ganache and topped with Oreo crumbles.
- 1 18 ounce package devil’s food cake mix
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 baker’s semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 1/4 cup butter cut up
- 1 8 ounce package Philadelphia Cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups thawed Cool Whip Topping
- 12 Oreo cookies coarsely crushed
- PREHEAT oven to 350°F Prepare and bake cake mix in two (9-inch) round cake pans as directed on package. Cool in pans 5 minute Invert onto wire racks; remove pans. Cool layers completely.
- PLACE chocolate and butter in small microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 2 minute or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool 5 minute
- BEAT cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add the whipped topping and cookie crumbs; mix lightly. Place 1 of the cake layers, top-side down, on serving plate; spread with the cream cheese mixture. Cover with the remaining cake layer, top-side up. Spoon glaze over top of cake. Let stand until set. Store in refrigerator.